Toddler Recipes: Broccoli and Cheese Soup
Toddler Recipes: Home Made Broccoli and Cheese Soup
This is a creamy soup made with broccoli florets and cheese.
1/4 cup butter
1/2 onion, chopped
1 (16 ounce) package frozen broccoli florets
2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
8-12 ounces Velveeta Cheese (amount depends on how much cheese you want), cubed
1 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup water
Spoon to stir
TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS
- Cook broccoli as specified on package. Drain excess water and chop.
- Melt butter in stockpot and add onions. Cook until tender.
- Add broccoli and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and add cheese cubes and stir until melted.
- Mix in milk and garlic powder.
- In a small bowl, stir cornstarch into water until dissolved. Stir into soup and continue cooking until soup thickens.
We love cheese so we used 12 ounces. I used one 12 ounce pack of Velveeta slices. This melted very easily. Also the girls were able to contribute
by helping unwrap the slices!
Keep stirring as cheese is melting to avoid it settling on the bottom of the pot.
If your child is not a fan of broccoli, add less, chop in food chopper.
You could use a package of frozen chopped broccoli and just boil in the chicken broth about 10 minutes.