This kids recipe is one the whole family will enjoy. Layers of oreo and a chocolate or vanilla "mousse" make this dessert a rich creamy delight.
A perfect dessert for kids parties, Halloween celebrations or even April Fools day.
1 lb to 1 1/4 lb package Oreo cookies (single filling)
2 small packages instant vanilla or chocolate pudding
3 cups milk
1 (12 ounce) tub Cool Whip
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1/2 cup butter softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
4-6 gummy worms or other gummy creatures
- Blender for best results or else use large freezer ziplocks and smash with back of wooden spoon or small rolling pin.
- 3 bowls
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoon
- Pot, tub or containers to put in dirt cake
- Plastic shovel (optional)
- Fill the blender with 1/2 package of oreos, blend and pour into bowl. Repeat with second half of bag.
- Mix butter, cream cheese, sugar and vanilla together in bowl. Set aside.
- Combine milk and pudding mix in large bowl. Fold Cool Whip into the pudding.
- Fold together butter/cream cheese mixture in pudding mixture.
- Layer 1/3 or the crushed Oreos into tub or container. Add half of the pudding mixture. Layer another third of oreos. Add the other half of the pudding
and then add last third of oreos as the top layer.
- Add the gummy worms and arrange as desired
- Chill in refrigerator for 3-4 hours before serving.
Tips and Suggestions
- Using a blender is easiest method to crush the oreos. All the white filling disappears as it gets crushed. In the classroom, so that the kids could participate in the activity, we used ziplocks and wooden spoons.
- We did this as a culminating activity after reading How to Eat Fried Worms when I taught fourth grade.
- Be sure you buy INSTANT pudding. I accidentally bought the cook and serve but luckily had a box of instant chocolate pudding on hand.
- Search for fun containers in the dollar sections. We found the tins at Target and the small white ones below at the Dollar Tree
Kid Sized Portions
Cute kid sized portions, perfect for a party. We found these containers at the Dollar Tree, 3 for a dollar.
See Through Containers
Served in clear bowls allows for the layers to be seen and already portioned out so you can just chill and serve.
Here is another idea shared by one of our readers. This was done with colored coconut sprinkles and flowers to celebrate Earth Day.