Cinnamon Dough Hearts
Valentine Hearts Made with Cinnamon Dough, A great hands on activity that your child will enjoy. Hang as an decorative piece, add to potpourri or embellish a gift as a tie on. However you choose to use these cinnamon pieces, it is something that will last for many years and retain that wonderful smell.
Free Printable Cinnamon Hearts Recipe
- 1 cup cinnamon
- 1 cup applesauce
- Cookie Molds or Heart Shaped Cookie Cutter
- Medium Bowl
- Waxed Paper or Parchment Paper
- Plastic Wrap
- Rolling pin
- Baking Sheet
- White Crayon
- Coffee stir straw or skewer to poke a hole for hanging
- Ribbon if hanging
- Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Place on cinnamon dusted surface and knead until well blended.
- Spoon out enough to make a ball about the size of a golf ball, flatten slightly and place on surface of cinnamon, flip it over and dust the other side.
- Place the rest of the cinnamon dough in plastic wrap.
- Prepare the mold by dusting it as well with the powdered cinnamon.
- Roll out the ball of dough until it covers the top of the mold, keep the dough thick.
- Place on top of the mold and with rolling pin and hands tap on the dough, pushing it into the mold.
- Flip the mold over and allow the cookie to fall out.
- Cut around the edge, the thickness of the cookie should be approximately 3/8".
- Punch a hole in the heart if you want to tie with a ribbon or hang it up for decoration and wonderful aroma.
- Place in a warm oven 200 degrees or less and allow to dry slowly for several hours, make sure it is drying on powdered cinnamon.
- Next allow to cool, dust off, and color with white crayon.
Tips and Suggestions
- If dough is too sticky add a little more cinnamon or if too dry add a little applesauce.
- If your dough did not come out of the mold, knead again and repeat. The dough needs to be a little stiffer. Molds can be deep and you will the entire pattern to show.
- If you don't have a mold, use a heart shaped cookie cutter and let your child draw their own design!
- If you have any dough left over, store it by placing it in plaster wrap. Surprisingly it will last for months and months. Perfect for that afternoon you are looking for a toddler activity.
Variation on the Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Cloves
- 1 Tablespoon Allspice
Note that adding the Ground cloves and Allspice may create a drier dough that is best used immediately. The original recipe can be stored in plastic wrap in the
refrigerator for a very long time