A great hands on activity that has many variations...paint, embellish with sequins, bows, or wiggly eyes. Hang as an ornament, add to potpourri or make a gift tie on. The best thing is the smell is retained for many years. One of my favorite kids activities are making Cinnamon ornaments. It's a great activity for children as young as 3 years of age but can easily be tailored to children of all ages and even adults.
- 1 cup cinnamon
- 1 cup applesauce
- Medium Bowl
- Waxed Paper or Parchment Paper
- Plastic Wrap
- Rolling pin
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper or Waxed Paper to work on
- Coffee stir straw or skewer to poke a hole for hanging
- Ribbon if hanging
- Cookie cutters
- White Puffy Paint
- Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix with spoon or hand.
- If dough is too sticky add a little more cinnamon or if too dry add a little applesauce.
- Place approximately 1/4 of the dough on a cinnamon powdered surface.
- Place the rest of the cinnamon dough in plastic wrap.
- Roll out the dough to about sugar cookie thickness 1/4 inch.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out the shape.
- Poke a hole on the top with a small coffee stir or skewer.
- When dry use the white puffy paint to decorate.
- String ribbon through hole and embellish with paint, sequins, wiggly eyes, etc.
Tips and Suggestions
- If the dough is a little sticky add a little more cinnamon or if too dry add a little applesauce.
Add a little Extra Fragrance
For an even more fragrant variation, add the following to the above ingredients:
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Cloves
- 1 Tablespoon Allspice