Cinnamon Dough Recipe
Toddler Activities: Here is our recipe for Cinnamon Dough which we use for all of the projects. You can make personalized ornaments for Christmas, potpourri and more. We have included an option to add a couple extra ingredients to get
an even more fragrant dough. See directions for that option below.
This is a great hands on activity that your child will enjoy. You can hang as
an a decorative piece, add to potpourri or embellish a gift as a tie on. However you choose to use these cinnamon pieces, it is something that will last for many years and retain that wonderful smell.
1 cup cinnamon
1 cup applesauce
- Cookie Cutters or Molds
- Medium Bowl
- Waxed Paper or Parchment Paper
- Plastic Wrap
- Rolling pin
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper or Waxed Paper to work on
- Coffee stir straw or skewer to poke a hole for hanging
- Ribbon if hanging
- Wiggly Eyes
- White Crayon
- Small Scrapbook embellishments
- Puff Paint
- Place all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Stir with a spoon or by hand.
- Place on cinnamon dusted surface and knead until well blended.
- Spoon out enough to make a ball about the size of a golf ball, flatten slightly and place on surface of cinnamon, flip it over and dust the other side.
- Place the rest of the cinnamon dough in plastic wrap.
USING COOKIE CUTTERS
- Prepare the mold by dusting it as well with the powdered cinnamon.
- Roll out the ball of dough until it covers the top of the mold, keep the dough thick.
- Place on top of the mold and with rolling pin and hands tap on the dough, pushing it into the mold.
- Flip the mold over and allow the cookie to fall out.
- Cut around the edge, the thickness of the cookie should be approximately 3/8inch thick.
- Punch a hole in the piece if you want to tie with a bow or hang.
- Roll out ball of dough until it is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Press cookie cutter into the dough. Peel dough away from cutter, then lift the cutter up gently.
- Let your child make their own project. Note that thicker items will take longer to dry.
- Air dry for a couple days or place in a warm oven 200 degrees or less and allow to dry slowly for several hours, make sure it is drying on powdered cinnamon.
- Next allow to cool, dust off.
- Decorate with ribbon or other embellishments
Variation on the Recipe
For an even more fragrant variation, add the following to the above ingredients:
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Cloves
- 1 Tablespoon Allspice
Note that adding the Ground cloves and Allspice may create a drier dough that is best used immediately. For a longer lasting dough, use the original recipes.