If your child is learning about the ocean, this is a fun craft to make as a culminating activity. The materials are simple but it makes a really nice hanging for display. Adding blue water color to paint on waxed paper makes a really nice effect. Then using colored tissue to make sea creatures, seaweed and other details. Punch two holes, add some ribbon and it's ready to display.
- 2 sheets of waxed paper
- Colored tissue cut into shapes for stars, ocean animals
- Blue water color paint
- Construction paper strips
- Hole Punch and Yarn to Hang
- Cut two pieces of waxed paper.
- Lay one piece on flat surface and paint with blue water color paint.
- Lay your tissue pieces onto the waxed paper.
- Lay the second piece of waxed paper on top.
- Dab excess water with a paper towel or dish cloth. Let dry.
- (Adult step) Put iron on low heat and lay dish towel on top of waxed paper. Iron until sheets of waxed paper stick together.
- Fold a strip of construction paper lengthwise and staple the strip on the top and bottom to form a frame.
- Punch two holes in the top strip and tie a piece of ribbon or yarn through the holes so you can hang your project.
Tips and Suggestions
- Have cut pieces of tissue ready to place on the water colors.
- Use a stencil to make the tissue shapes.