Toddler Recipes: Easter Peanut Butter Eggs
Toddler Recipes: Delicious Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Eggs!
A Cute Easter treat perfect for a party, these are too delicious to keep!
1/2 8 ounce package of cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 (18 ounce) jar creamy or chunky peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 lb package confectioner's sugar
2 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons shortening
Sprinkles, Easter candies or other decorative items (optional)
Wooden Spoon to mix
Large Mixing Bowl
Waxed Paper lined baking sheets
Microwave safe bowl or heavy saucepan
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, peanut butter and vanilla until smooth. Beat in sugar. I found it easier to knead with hands to
- Form rounded tablespoonfuls into egg shapes.
- Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Chill for 30 minutes or longer.
- In a microwave safe bowl or heavy saucepan, melt chocolate chips and shortening. Stir until smooth. Do not let chocolate over heat, it will scorch easily.
- Dip eggs until coated, or use spatula to spread chocolate and place on waxed paper.
- Decorate if desired with sprinkles, candies or drizzle chocolate over the top.
- Refrigerate until use.
- Makes about 32 eggs. We halved the recipe and made 16 eggs and hearts.
TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS
This is an easy toddler recipe however it can get messy. We used thin plastic disposable gloves which were a little big but made it
a little easier on the cleanup and our bumpkins bib (smocks). It is an easy consistency for children to help shape after it fully blended.
We dipped it in white chocolate, semi sweet chocolate, and dark chocolate. White chocolate is a little thinner than brown chocolate.
We tried dipping and found that for us the spatula was easier to spread the chocolate. We put chocolate around the sides and then the top.
We used an egg shaped metal cutter and a plastic heart cookie cutter. Place the cutter onto the waxed paper and press mixture into the cutter until filled.
Gently press the mixture out of the cookie cutter and chill on the waxed paper. Dip and decorate as above.
Write out the recipe for your child to follow. Line up the ingredients on the counter so they can match ingredients on the recipe and follow along
as you make the Peanut butter eggs.