Chocolate and Peanut Butter Treats
Delicious Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter treats. We made egg shaped treats as well as heart shaped ones. A cute treat perfect for a party, these are too delicious to keep for just yourself!
- 1/2 8 ounce package of cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 (18 ounce) jar creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lb package confectioner's sugar
- 2 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons shortening
- Sprinkles, Easter candies or other decorative items
- Cookie Cutters in simple shaped like egg for Easter, heart for Valentines if you want holiday treats.
- Wooden Spoon to mix
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Waxed Paper or Parchment lined baking sheets
- Microwave safe bowl or heavy saucepan
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, peanut butter and vanilla until smooth. Beat in sugar. I found it easier to knead with hands to mix thoroughly.
- Form rounded tablespoonfuls into egg shapes.
- Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Chill for 30 minutes or longer.
- In a microwave safe bowl or heavy saucepan, melt chocolate chips and shortening. Stir until smooth. Do not let chocolate over heat, it will scorch easily.
- Dip eggs until coated, or use spatula to spread chocolate and place on waxed paper.
- Decorate if desired with sprinkles, candies or drizzle chocolate over the top.
- Refrigerate until use.
- Makes about 32 eggs. We halved the recipe and made 16 eggs and hearts.
Tips and Suggestions
- This is an easy toddler recipe however it can get messy. We used thin plastic disposable gloves which were a little big but made it
a little easier on the cleanup and our bumpkins bib (smocks). It is an easy consistency for children to help shape after it fully blended.
- We dipped it in white chocolate, semi sweet chocolate, and dark chocolate. White chocolate is a little thinner than brown chocolate.
- We tried dipping and found that for us the spatula was easier to spread the chocolate. We put chocolate around the sides and then the top.