Easter Basket Cupcakes
Make these super cute Easter Basket Cupcakes with Jelly Beans.
- Box of cake mix
- White Cake frosting
- Shredded Coconut
- Small egg shaped candies (jelly beans, malted eggs, jelly bellies, bubble gum eggs for older children)
- Green food color
- Pipe cleaners
- Thin ribbon
- Muffin Tins
- Muffin Liners
- Small ziplock
- Cookie sheet or cutting board to work on
- Small Bowls for candies
- Small spoon
- Paper towels handy
- Line muffin tin with liners.
- Bake cupcakes as directed on box.
- Let cool completely and then frost with white cake frosting.
- Place white coconut in small ziplock and add a drop of food coloring. Shake bag up and down to spread color. Add another drop if desired.
- Place colored coconut in center of cupcake. With a small spoon hollow out center a little by pushing coconut to form a raised ring (nest)
- Use frosting or Wilton Icing to hold eggs in place. Place candies inside of nest.
- Tie ribbon on pipe cleaner and cut bend in an arc. Cut to desired length leaving about an inch on each side to poke into cupcake.
- Poke bent pipe cleaner gently into cupcake making sure you are not too close to the edge (adult recommended)
Tips and Suggestions
- Licorice strings are hard to find but can be used for the basket handle.
- If you want finer coconut, or have a few long pieces, chop in a small food chopper or processor.
- If you are doing this activity with young children, then make the handles ahead of time.
We made some mini sized cupcakes which we decorated similar to above with a different colored coconut. We used small sixlet candies for these. Cute even without the handle and very easy to decorate.