Add dried fruit, small candles or nuts for a sweet treat. Change the type of candy to make it a holiday treat.Great gift for teachers or someone you would like to say thank you to! Give some to your mail carrier, baby sitter or other people that help care for your child.
- White Chocolate or Semi-Sweet Chocolate
- Sprinkles, Small Candies, Dried Fruit, Nuts (check for allergies if children are eating this)
- Cookie Tray
- Parchment Paper
- Microwaveable bowl or our preferred method below.
We bought a electric chocolate melter but after two broke we went with this simple inexpensive way to melt chocolate and love it! Much easier to monitor when it melts than the microwave and you can just add what you need. It has a 2 cup capacity and you just hook it over a pot with water that you boil on the stove. Just move pot from burner or turn off heat once you get the desired consistency. Turn the stove back on if it starts to harden or if you need more chocolate.
- Line cookie sheet with a piece of parchment paper
- Place selected candies, dried fruit or nuts into a bowl
- Put 2 or 3 squares of chocolate bark into a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave as directed or 30 seconds. Stir and repeat at 15 second intervals. Mix well after each heating.
- Carefully pour onto center of parchment paper.
- Gently shift the parchment paper to side and the chocolate will spread into an even flat shape. Do not make it too thin. Adult should do this step.
- Add more chocolate and repeat if necessary.
- Drop selected candies, nuts or dried fruit onto the chocolate.
- Let cool and harden on the parchment paper.
- For faster results, cool in refrigerator for about 20-30 minutes.
- Keep whole or break into smaller pieces.
- Place in clear gift bag, small box or serve on a decorative plate.
Tailor the Ingredients to the Occasion for a Holiday or Party. Here are some of our favorite toppings.
- Crushed Peppermint Candies
- Crushed Heath or Butterfinger Candy
- Crushed Cookies like Oreos
- Crushed Pretzels
- Seasonal Colored Candies like M and M's
- Seasonal Candies like Red Hots, Candy Corn
- Candy sprinkles used for cookies and cupcakes
- Nuts (if for an older toddler not allergic or an adult)
- Fruit Gummies
Tips and Suggestions
- When heating chocolate, stir well for at least 30 seconds to spread heat evenly. The hotter part will melt some of the chocolate as you stir.
- Very Important: Heat until just melted and chocolate is smooth and shiny. Chocolate scorches easily.
Wrap in clear bag in one large piece. Tie with ribbon or place in a small box.