Toddler Activities: Stained Glass Hearts
Toddler Activities: Stained glass hearts using wax paper and crayon shavings will brighten up any window. Make a mobile or tie onto
a Valentines Gift.
I used to make stained glass hearts with children in the classroom. We made it into a card for parents by cutting a heart out of construction paper and replacing it with
one of these hearts. I saw these hearts on Martha Stewart and thought how pretty it was as a mobile, so we made our own.
Kid's Pencil Sharpener with sharpener for jumbo pencils
Small dish for crayon shavings
Wax Paper 12 x 12 inch pieces
Ribbon or yarn
Ironing board or flat hard surface to iron on.
- Sharpen colors using large sharpener. Collect shavings in small dish.
- Lay a couple paper towels on the ironing board or surface to be ironed.
- Lay a sheet of waxed paper onto the towels.
- Sprinkle shavings lightly for best results leaving a two inch margin all around.
- Place second sheet of waxed paper on top.
- Place another paper towel on top of the waxed paper.
- Heat iron on low setting and press on paper towel/waxed paper for two seconds, lift and repeat until shavings have melted. (Adult step)
- Sliding the iron will create more blending.
- Cut out heart shapes in various sizes tracing stencils, cookie cutters or free hand with a sharpie.
- Tape ribbon to back of heart or punch hole and slip ribbon through hole. Glue loop and let dry.
- Tape hearts to hanger or window.
TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS
I used a dish towel and there was some color transfer so paper towels are recommended.
If staining is a concern, use washable crayons.
Do not fold to cut out heart shape. There will be a crease down the middle and the heart may not lay flat.
We traced cookie cutters with a sharpie. The cutters came in a pack of 6 varied sizes for about $2 US.
Sprinkle crayon shavings lightly, we tried one with a lot of shavings and it doesn't show the light well through the heart and turned into almost
a solid color.
We used Offray Polyester Ribbon in 1/8" (3mm)
Fold a piece of construction paper in half. Fold top piece into halves again. Draw ear shape to create heart or trace half a heart stencil. Cut out heart
Tape heart to back of card. Make sure heart you cut out is smaller than the stained glass heart.
Return to Top
for directions on how to make the stained glass heart.
Offray Ribbon is great for many toddler activities. Comes in a large variety of colors, prints and sizes.