Toddler Activities: Make Your Own Holiday Potpourri
Toddler Activities: Cinnamon smelling potpourri with tangerine peels and kumquats make this a beautiful Fall or Christmas decoration. Add this with some fragrant orange peels, pine cones and cloves to make your own holiday potpourri.
Cinnamon Dough Recipe Here
Small Cookie cutters or small metal decorative cutters
Lime or Tangerine peels
Star Anise (10-12)
Artificial berries and leaves or flowers for additional color
In the Fall you can add: Acorns, Pine Straw, Sweet Gum Balls, Colorful Leaves
- Container such as small bowl or vase
- Orange or Lemon Peels add color but will be need to be cut by an adult. Tip: Use a small wooden block on top of your cutter and press to cut shape out
- Follow Cinnamon Dough Recipe and roll out onto wax paper or parchment paper. Roll until it is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut out your cinnamon potpourri pieces using cookie cutters or molds.
- Bake 175-200 degrees F for about one hour turning every 15 minutes or let air dry for a couple days.
- Press metal cookie cutters into tangerine peels.
Make holes in kumquats with a toothpick, this will allow for the whole cloves to be inserted easily. Press 3-5 cloves into kumquats.
- When cinnamon pieces are dry arrange it all in a small vase or bowl.
Tips and Suggestions
- Change cutters according to holiday/season.
- Cloves are a preservative and the fruit may turn brown where they are place but that is part of the drying process.
- Anise stars can be glued to the cinnamon cookies or just added to the potpourri mix
- Pour into a small lacy bag, tie with ribbon for a sachet.
- Have child close eyes and see if they can identify the different smells.
- Helps develop fine motor skills.
- Explore sense of smell.