Toddler Activities: Decoupage Jar
Toddler Activities: This makes a pretty decoration and is appropriate for ages 2 and up. This project was made when the girls were two.
Toddler Activities: With Tissue and a baby jar you can make this pretty decoupage item. Add a few branches and sequins to display.
Baby Food Jar
Tissue Paper in various colors
Decoupage Glue such as Mod Podge, Gloss Finish
or Elmers Glue and water in a 3:1 ratio
Brush or foam sponge brush
Acrylic Spray (optional)
Sheer Glitter Glue (optional)
Small Branches (from outside or craft store)
Plaster of Paris
Container and spoon to mix plaster
Newspaper to work on
Paper Towels or wet wipes for wiping fingers
Single Hole Punch
- Tear small pieces of tissue paper.
- Add Mod Podge.
- Brush a small area to be glued.
- Add a piece of tissue.
- Brush over entire piece with Mod Podge. Repeat with a second piece of tissue.
- When jar is covered to your satisfaction, coat entire piece with a coat Mod Podge.
- Let dry and repeat a second coat for best results.
- An iridescent or glitter paint will add shine or you can spray with Acrylic Sealer.
- When jar has been dried completely, you are ready to add your branches.
- Select branches.
- Mix plaster as directed on package.
- Fill jar a little over half way with plaster using a small plastic spoon to avoid getting onto the jar. (Adult recommended)
- Stick your branches into the plaster, you may need to rearrange the sticks when it starts to dry if it doesn't stand in place where you like it.
- Let plaster of paris dry completely.
- Punch holes in large sequins and hang on several of the branches.
TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS
You can use Elmer's Glue and water in place of mod podge with great results as well. Mix in a ration of 1:3 water/glue.
For young children, tear the tissue into pieces for them.
Mod Podge is available in a gloss or matte finish so be sure to read the label on the bottle before to make sure you have selected the one you want prior
Due to the powder consistency of Plaster of Paris before adding water, mix out of reach of children. You might even consider using a face mask to
prevent breathing in the powder.
For another project, decoupage a vase. You can find larger vases at Dollar Tree, WalMart and Craft Stores.