Toddler Activities: Decoupage
Toddler Activities: Find a simple wooden box and decoupage it into a beautiful gift box. Appropriate for ages 4 and up with adult help.
Using Mod Podge, magazine pages and a simple wooden box to make this pretty box!
Magazine Pages of Wrapping Paper
Decoupage Glue such as Mod Podge, Gloss Finish
Brush or foam sponge brush
Acrylic Spray (optional)
Newspaper to work on
Paper Towels or wet wipes for wiping fingers
- Line table with newspaper.
- Tear out about five or six pages from a magazine that you would like to use for a small project.
- Tear into one inch pieces. For larger boxes you might want to tear into larger pieces for faster, easier coverage.
- Pour glue into small dish and have paper towels or wipes on hand.
- Brush glue onto one side of the box.
- Put one piece of torn magazine onto the glue. Brush on top of the entire piece with glue.
- Place a second piece slightly overlapping the first, brush with glue. Repeat until box is covered.
- Fold pieces over the edges to hide corners and edges.
- Check for missed spots and add a piece of magazine, brush over with glue.
- Brush entire piece with glue and let dry. For best results brush an additional two to four coats and let dry (See individual instructions for
- Rinse brush and bowl thoroughly.
TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS
Find the simplest box you can for the easiest project. Handles, patterns, latches are more tricky to work around.
We found a nice assortment of unfinished wooden items at Michaels that could be decoupaged like small step stools, picture frames, heart and other shaped boxes
to the more simpler one like we used.
I found it easiest for me to brush on the glue, and let the girls place the pieces of magazine. They did the final coats.
It took a little while to get the overlapping concept as
they wanted to place pieces randomly or sometimes on top of another covering it so I showed them on the table how we want to place the pieces and they
said, "Oh it's like a puzzle."
Spray with Acrylic Spray for additional shine.
Here are some supplies that we used for this toddler activity. I saw the party favor boxes and thought that might make a cute make and take party idea for older toddlers.
You could just decoupage a sticker, picture, or something simple rather than the whole favor box.