Toddler Activities: Spring Button Bouquet
Toddler Activities: Create a sweet button flower bouquet for someone special.
A cheery bouquet of button flowers will brighten any room. Do some pre-math activities to make it even more engaging! Count, sort and make patterns with
the buttons. Talk about colors, shades, shapes and size.
Floral Stem Wire 20 gauge (comes in silver, green and white)
Buttons of various colors and shapes.
Wire or jewelry cutters
Small tray or blanket to lay out buttons on
Green Floral Stem Wrap tape if you can only find silver or white wire
- Bend the wire about 6 -7 inches.
- Select the buttons for the flower that will be on the top. Line up the buttons in order by size (smallest to largest).
- Slide the smallest button onto the longer part of the wire and then slide it onto the other side of the wire. If the button has four holes, string
the wire through diagonal hole to center the button.
- Twist the wire under the flower tightly. You can tighten it further after you string the second set of buttons.
- String the second set of buttons onto the wire and twist under the buttons to secure.
- Holding onto the first set of buttons you can twist the wire a little more to make it "tighter".
- Secure as many sets of buttons as you wish. We did two or three sets per wire.
- Trim the end of the wire with wire cutters or jewelry plier.
- Wrap wire with florist tape if desired.
- Place in small vase and bend to arrange "flowers"
TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS
The girls picked all the buttons, lined them up and strung them on the wire while I held it steady and in a way that the end would not poke them
as they strung it onto the second wire. An adult will need to do the twisting of the wire and trimming the end.
If you choose to wrap with florist tape, that will also require adult assistance. Note: The picture above is without the florist tape.
Pre Activity Games
Great toddler activity for introducing a few Math Concepts in a fun way. The girls loved sorting through the buttons and one of my daughters actually sorted about 2,000
buttons into bags by size. (small, medium and large)
Numbers and Number Sense
Counting: Count how many buttons for each flower.
Patterns, Sorting and Classifying (Algebra and Functions)
Sorting Objects by Attribute (color, size or shape) Sort buttons by color in muffin tins prior to selecting for activity.
Comparing Objects (color, size, shape) Discuss the colors or shapes of the different buttons.
Even if you choose not to do the math pre activities, use color and number words during this toddler activity to help reinforce math concepts.