Toddler Activities: Make a Pony Bead Rainbow
Toddler Activities: Make a Cute Pony Bead Rainbow
This is a cute toddler activity introducing the order of the colors of a rainbow using pony beads. Great for introducing what a rainbow is or for celebrating St. Patrick's Day.
For a rainbow 4.5 inches across you need:
5 or 6 pipe cleaners
Flat Styrofoam craft piece 5 inches in diameter.
4 cotton balls
- Red 30
- Orange 25
- Yellow 20
- Green 17
- Purple 14
Small containers or plate to sort beads by color
- Sort beads by color into containers or on a plate.
- String beads onto the pipe cleaner.
- Adult will have to put the rainbow together after beads are strung. Start with the blue (the smallest ray).
- Keeping beads in the middle of the pipe cleaner, poke one end of the pipe cleaner into the styrofoam.
- Slide the beads to the end you poked into the styrofoam.
- Use the other end of the pipe cleaner, poke a hole where you want the other end to go.
- Trim the pipe cleaner to about an inch.
- Poke the newly cut end into the second hole.
- You may find you need to add or remove a bead to make it proportionate.
- Adjust beads so there is little or no space between them especially at the top. The bottom can have space since you will be covering it with cotton and
it won't show.
- Pull each cotton ball into several pieces. Glue cotton onto the styrofoam.
- Let dry.
TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS
If activity is for a younger child, simply have the beads pre-sorted and counted and work on one color at a time.
Older children can sort and count it out themselves.
Rinsed empty applesauce containers or a muffin tin work well for sorting.
Keep those snipped ends of the pipe cleaners...they can be used for other crafts.
The Rainbow Fish
by Marcus Pfister with your child or a A Rainbow of My Own
A rainbow spans a continuous spectrum of colors. It's a phenomenon which causes a spectrum of light to appear in the sky when the sun shines on droplets of
moisture in the Earth's atmosphere. Its colors are best remembered by the mnemonic Roy G. Biv. Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo and Violet.